Free self management courses, The Expert Patients Programme and Looking After Me programmes try to give people a variety of skills and techniques used in day-to-day life will be taught.
The courses are held over six weekly 2.5 hour sessions and are delivered in a group setting by tutors, who themselves have got a long-term condition or are carers.
Topics covered by the courses include:
- Dealing with pain and fatigue.
- Dealing with difficult emotions.
- Getting a good night's sleep.
- Taking medication.
- Communication with friends, family and health care professionals.
- Planning and setting goals.
- And more.
“The course taught me how to handle my condition better and gave me the tools to cope…”